Jason grew up in a small town in New Hampshire, and studied illustration at Syracuse University. In 2001 he moved to New York City and found a job at a children’s bookstore in Manhattan. It was through co-workers at the store that Jason found his way to his current publisher, Roaring Brook Press.
Jason’s latest book, Water is Water has just been published, and has earned multiple starred reviews. His previous book, Gravity was a 2014 Gryphon Honor Book (from the Center for Children’s Books) and Island: A Story of the Galapagos, won the 2013 Gryphon Award. His earlier books, Redwoods and Coral Reefs, also received critical acclaim:
- 2010 FOCAL Award (Redwoods)
- Horn Book – 2009 Fanfare Title (Redwoods)
- Booklist – Starred Review (Redwoods)
- Publishers Weekly – Starred Review (Redwoods)
- Washington Post – Best of 2009 list (Redwoods)
- Amazon.com – Best of 2009 list (Redwoods)
- Junior Library Guild Selection (Redwoods)
- Society of Illustrators Orginal Art Exhibition (Coral Reefs)
- Kirkus Reviews’ Best of 2011 list. (Coral Reefs)
- Junior Library Guild Selection (Coral Reefs)
Jason lives in Vermont with his wife, Deirdre Gill, and their children.